Re: Should I document this feature?

Subject: Re: Should I document this feature?
From: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:08:56 +0100

In the spirit of both answers above, how about

"If you ever need to upgrade or modify your software license, you may be
asked to use these functions. Otherwise, you can safely ignore them."

So long as the dialogs they bring up aren't esoteric, and leaving them
is intuitive, that should be enough. If, on the other hand, the user is
given some incomprehensible dialog and encounters a real risk of
breaking their license, Peter Neilson's suggestion might be more
appropriate.

On 06/08/10 15:22, Joe Weinmunson wrote:
> At startup, our program looks for a license file in the application
> directory. That license controls what features of the program are
> activated for the user and how many users can access the program at
> the same time. There are three menu functions that involve the
> license: updating, reading license information, and copying a license
> from one file to another. However, I can't think of any situation
> where the end user can or should be using those menu functions if
> they're not on the phone with tech support anyway. Should I leave
> those commands out of the documentation completely? Explain what each
> one does? Or take some kind of middle road? Thanks.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/