Re: Definitions software/systems bug tracking

Subject: Re: Definitions software/systems bug tracking
From: Jefe de redacciÃn <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Wade Courtney <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:53:31 -0400

My response is bottom-posted:

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Wade Courtney <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> As do we. Also Tweaking may have nothing to do with Text. It may be a
> UI thing. I doubt though that Tweaking is an acceptable term for ISO
> Standards....
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Dan Goldstein
> <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
>> I can speak to that last point. In our system, we use the same app for
>> reporting bugs, new feature requests, and feature change requests.

Another vote here. We use MKS. The language is a bit different...
actually, I believe we assigned our own terminology that we've
carried through three different software versioning and bug-tracking
systems since I've been with this company.

The terms that were listed in the original post, are they
hard-coded in Mantis? Or are they defaults/placeholders,
and you get to replace them with your own, use a subset, etc.??

In our MKS instance, they are all "issues", but testers
and others create "Task" issues that are assigned to developers.
We made up a "Document" issue, just for me.

There are also "CSR"s (Customer Support Requests),
"FAR"s (Feature something Requests), "Requirements"
(generated by PLM in the Marketing Requirements Document
and also by the engineering project manager in the
Engineering Statement of Work), "Features" (special case
of Requirements, that usually come from PLM, but
sometimes come from the compliance group or other sources), and so on.

All of those have little colored icons in the list view;
mine are cyan...

Severity can be Critical, High, Medium, Low.

"Critical" issues must be fixed before a product is
allowed out the door - i.e., show-stoppers, deal-breakers.
"High" issues are fixed if the current schedule allows,
and are at the top of the list for the next interim release.
Usually, those would be fairly serious problems, but
a workaround exists.
"Mediums" get worked on when possible. They are
not crippling, and they always have a workaround.
"Lows" are way down the list - nice-to-have stuff,
low-priority enhancement wishes, typos.

A "Release" object is a clearing-house for a given
release, and contains/links-to all the features,
enhancements, major bugs, etc. that were the reason
for the release.

We don't say "Tweak", but we could if we felt the need...

I can't imagine Mantis not being flexible about the names
and gradations. It should be just an exercise for the DBM
to set up whatever terminology your people are accustomed
to using... or whatever framework they wish to graduate to.

I know nothing of the cost, but MKS has been good to work
with, for the past few years.

</kevin>
--
 Â__o
_`\<,_

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/