RE: Captivate 4 fonts missing in Captivate 5

Subject: RE: Captivate 4 fonts missing in Captivate 5
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: 'Technical Writer' <tekwrytr -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 21:00:05 -0700

Technical Writer wrote:

> I have a weird problem. I have been developing videos for the past
> month using Captivate 5, based on a template provided by the client.
> Today I was advised that the closed-captioning generated by Captivate 5
> does not match the template (created in Captivate 4). When viewed in
> Captivate 5, the template looks "normal." Viewed in HTML, the closed-
> captioning font is Arial Black 11 point. Arial Black is not included
> with Captivate 5. Arial font bolded doesn't work.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to add a new font (specifically, Arial Black)
> to Captivate 5? If so, where could I get the font, and how would i
> install it?
>
> Any other suggestions, ideas, or workarounds would be greatly
> appreciated. I have more than 30 videos that need the font in the
> closed-captioning changed to Arial Black, and no idea how to get Arial
> Black into or out of Captivate 5.

I know nothing about Captivate. But most applications don't require one to get a font "into" them. Doesn't it have access to the fonts installed on your system (typically, in C:\Windows\Fonts)? Have you checked your Fonts folder to see if Arial Black is installed?

Have you checked the Captivate help or manual to see what it says about accessing fonts? Maybe you just need to install the font on your system, or maybe you need to copy it to some special location for Captivate's use (Adobe seems to favor making things like this more difficult than they need to be).

Arial Black is included with quite a few versions of Windows and various Microsoft applications -- see http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1709 for a list. If all else fails, you can buy it from Microsoft, Monotype Corp., or various other font vendors.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-777-0436
------

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/