Re: Scrum sucks!

Subject: Re: Scrum sucks!
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:00:31 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:
> Scrum meetings, aside from kickoff where work items are broken out and
> taken by team members to work on, should follow a few simple rules:
>
> 1) they're at the beginning of the day
> 2) they're attended by all members
> 3) everyone speaks
> 4) items discussed individually: what I did yesterday, what I plan to
> do today, and what issues I've encountered.
> 5) everyone stands, ensuring the meeting moves along
> 6) open discussion about issues happens OUTSIDE the daily stand-up
> meeting, involving only the necessary/interested parties
>
> Scrum is a very easy model to follow, but you have to follow it. The
> Scrum Master's job, above all else, is to stick to the scrum model and
> step in to correct things that break the model, informing on the
> proper time/place/method for handling them.
>
> In rugby (or any team sport), you don't allow the team to do whatever
> the hell it wants to do. There is a plan, a model, and plays to
> follow. Breaking stride causes the team to fail, and you'll bet
> that'll warrant bench time and a verbal beat-down by the coach.
>
> It takes practice, diligence, and time to get the team moving
> uniformly in the right direction. But, when done right, it makes for a
> very productive, efficient and successful team.
>
> I'm not a die-hard scrum advocate by any means. But, I am 100% about
> efficiency. Failure to follow the model - whatever it may be - is not
> an option. And if the model is broken, I advocate moving to one that
> works or fixing it. This isn't rocket science. Usually when scrum or
> any other project model fails, it's due to one factor: poor
> leadership. If the model's not working, talk to that leader and find a
> solution to make it work. That is, when the leader falls, you step up.
>
> Bill

Agile, like quality processes, are poorly understood by management, the people tasked to implement them, and are really only used to show progress by movement and change. Not real progress, not real accomplishment.

This can be demonstrated by the insistence on traditional reports that eventually become the motivation for the processes.

Buzzwords don't mean progress. However, they do keep managers moving and making reports and showing the upper management how progressive and modern and efficient they are.

I know, I'm very cynical. I am also correct about 90% of the implementations of quality processes or Agile.

Scott

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Robart, Kay <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us> wrote:
>
>> I have found the scrum meetings to be pretty much a waste of my time.
>> They are just conducted as status meetings, and even though the team is
>> supposed to discuss issues and changes in the meetings, they don't. I am
>> working with one team that changes the stories in midstream and doesn't
>> tell me, so I get done and the tester tells me the last day of the scrum
>> that topics are missing.
>>
>> If I went to all the scrum meetings for all the teams I work on, I
>> wouldn't have any time to do any work, so I only go when I have status
>> to report. I am documenting about 20 products, luckily not all at once.

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/