RE: Editorial review board - when to edit?

Subject: RE: Editorial review board - when to edit?
From: "Platko, Mickey" <Mickey -dot- Platko -at- hp -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:27:41 +0000

We have a similar situation in our organization for manuals. We bid for the project, so we don't have the luxury of two edits unless the author requests it. Our docs go out to a team for content review. We edit DURING the first review. We rely on the author to incorporate changes correctly according to our group's style sheet and the corporate style guide. The author can question the editor if unsure. In your case, I don't think this would work unless you edited, returned it to the author to make changes, then sent it to the content review, then to the author. However, that would ensure the cleanest copy for content review.

I think you'll have to look at time and money. If you can afford both for a second review, which I would call "editorial approval," then I'd do it. If not, consider editing before content review and allowing the author to get back to you with questions when they incorporate the content comments. Does your group have a style guide? If not, you might publish a weekly email newsletter with "Tips and Tricks" (errors you see that you can turn into a training).