Re: Spaces after periods 'n such

Subject: Re: Spaces after periods 'n such
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:36:18 -0700

On 10/29/2010 10:34 AM, Chris Morton wrote:
> David is 100% correct. This isn't a topic worth debating. End of story.
> Peace out.> Chris

David's debate highlights that there are people who want to debate
spaces. As I said before, this discussion comes up frequently and my
argument is that there are different preferences and views that
inevitably lead to controversy, but that the prevailing style guide or
rules of the document owner should prevail. Of the documents that I own
I use two spaces, for all others, I use the rules of my client. If my
client says to use one space, then that is what I would use.

In Anon's case, which started this discussion again, the client
suggested, "One unless it looks funny, then use two." Well here, Anon
needs to consider all factors regarding this worn-out discussion. If
the client wants one, then use one and remain consistent. If there is a
case where using two is more important than using one and that, for
whatever inconceivable reason, is not negotiable, then use two in all
cases, for the sake of consistency. Oh, unless consistency of rules
(another controversy) creates some intolerable rigidity in
documentation, in which case, follow Keith's suggestion of, "do what you
think is right until your boss tells you to change," is a good one for
helping to create the never-ending contract. That was an interesting
one for me when a client said "delete all of these files" and then
called three weeks after the contract ended, "How do I get all those
files back?" Tony's "helpful" discussion of asking for the "hyphenated
noun cluster and serial comma policy," would likely add many hours to
Anon's project, given the myriad of discussions and controversies about
those.

I think there should be a reference list of the overly debated style
issues that keep cropping up like a beast that will not die with the
prevailing pro and con arguments. Anyone who raises one of these
discussions can just be referred to that list and the discussion can go
away, but that would be no fun.

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com