Re: Okay, this is something I need for a few different things

Subject: Re: Okay, this is something I need for a few different things
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:17:27 -0800

(This seems to have come in blank the first time for some reason.
I'll try again.)

Thank you for your comments. Let me pass back what I've learned so
far because it sounds like other people who're playing with this are
excited, too.

David Jones wrote a review for the ISTC Communicator Magazine that
was
helpful:
http://dacj40.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/communicator-2010-autumn-low-res-david-jones.pdf.
Thank you, David! I hadn't realized about Win7 compatibility as I'm
not using Win 7, but that's a good thing to know for pitching this
idea to clients. Most of the clients I'm likely to sell this
technology to are on WinXP as well, though, so I'm not worried. And
it looks like it's coming soon.

David's article got me looking around at some additional information
and I discovered that I can also use things like Captivate videos and
so on directly. (Again, not been using Captivate much--clients
haven't been asking for solutions with it--but I like it a lot.) I
knew that Word, FM, RoboHelp, things like that, all worked directly,
which is why I'm impressed. And best of all: in my mailbox this
morning was a blurb for an upcoming webinar on Author-it Assist.
(http://www.author-it.com/index.php?page=online_events&utm_source=online_events_oct10_jan11&utm_medium=crm_email&utm_content=online_events_pg&utm_campaign=online_events_oct10_jan11
). There's good timing! I've already signed up.

Let me tell you of two ways in which I'm going to try to pitch this:
there are two gov't systems that I'm working with, one state, one
Federal. The state one's not too bad, but the Federal one... oy
veh! It is as bad as any system can be that's designed by Booz
Allen, and that's benchmark bad, I'll tell yuh. The features and
functions are.... um.... well.... they are, they really are. So
having the ability to bring out context-sensitive help that will tell
the users how to use the system when it's relatively unusable may be
of great value.

This is way cool and I hope to make money with this, but I keep
thinking like this is a first-tier application of Author-it Assist,
though. I'm trying to figure out ways in which I can sell this
capability to clients who haven't even thought of this as a potential
solution because there hasn't really been a solution like this for
quite some time. It's worth pitching, but is there something more I
can do? I'd also like to say that it slices, dices, and grows hair on
previously bald scalps. So if anyone else has done things with
Assist, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks very much!

Yours truly,

John Hedtke
Author/Consultant/Contract Writer
Fellow, STC