Need POD information, please

Subject: Need POD information, please
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:19:31 -0800

I'm about to start a book project and there are some mechanical
problems I need to address that I'd like to ask input on. I need to
publish the book in an ebook format (or several, possibly) and also
in a print-on-demand format. As part of this, I'll need to:

1. Come up with a sales outlet for both: some simple shopping cart
technology, possibly, that's capable of spitting out an email with an
ebook or providing a link as well as a POD vendor. I'm willing to set
up my own website and so on, but I don't want to re-code the wheel if
there's something I can do cheaply and easily.

2. Someone who can help me design and create cover art.

I'm familiar with the general concepts, but I've never gone through
it myself. Has anyone thoughts on who to talk to (or conversely,
someone you're ~not~ happy with)? Is there a book or online resource
you're fond of that describes the self-publishing and distribution process?

Many thanks

Yours truly,

John Hedtke
Author/Consultant/Contract Writer