Cheap, simple organization: Rainlendar and PocketMod

Subject: Cheap, simple organization: Rainlendar and PocketMod
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:47:43 +0200

All,

[Disclaimer] This isn't an ad, and I don't have any affiliation with
the companies mentioned--I just wanted to share some approaches that
have worked for me with regard to keeping all the balls in the air. (I
did talk to the admin about it too.)

In fact, at present I have no money-making affiliations with anyone
(unfortunately!). Thus, any suggested products I may mention are for
no pecuniary interest of mine. If that should change in future, I will
definitely so specify. However, as my strong preference is for
freeware when possible, most of what I refer to will be free of
charge. [/Disclaimer]

Over the years, I've tried various kinds of paper planners--and became
frustrated with the ongoing maintenance required for keeping things
updated as well as the inconvenience of carrying around what in some
cases was a sizable book. Once I fell behind all the copying and
moving things around stage, shortly after it was abandoned until my
next effort--yet I continued to feel guilty as in "Some day I have to
get organized!"

I tried a Palm organizer, but it was somewhat hard to get in the habit
of using it constantly--although I must admit for my trip this Summer
back to Texas for six weeks, I resurrected my PDA to carry all the
contact info and various to-do kinds of things. The trip was short
enough that the PDA came in handy enough.

However, what I really needed was some method of having "just enough"
info with me when the computer was not handy. (My favorite and
extremely light-weight scheduling app is Rainlendar, which if you
haven't seen it is really worth checking out:
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

This combines a calendar with an appointment and to-do list in a
brilliantly simple combination and is available for Windows, Mac, and
Linux. They do have a "professional" version for a small shareware
price, but I never saw anything in it that seemed worthwhile for me,
so I have always just used the free version.

Have you heard about PocketMod? It's a free resource that shows you
how to create a pocket-sized, eight page organizer our of a single
sheet of paper. It has optional pages for planner pages, to-do lists,
and various other kinds of useful things so you can print it out, fold
it as indicated, and in a few moments have something you can easily
carry with you in pocket or purse. Much more convenient than either a
paper planner book or a PDA or smart phone for the purpose, I
think--and it's hard to beat the price! You can transfer, say, today
and tomorrow's schedule and to-do items to one of these and be on your
way, confident that nothing will fall through the cracks.
http://www.pocketmod.com/

David

http://www.doctohelp.com