SOLVED - consolas font's hyphen - causing odd copy/paste result from PDF (fromFrameMaker)

Subject: SOLVED - consolas font's hyphen - causing odd copy/paste result from PDF (fromFrameMaker)
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 06:46:46 -0800

Well, who'd have guessed: changing from Frame 7.2/Acrobat 8 to Frame
9/Acrobat 9 (part of TC 2.5) has fixed the problem :-).

files, the hyphen character in my code lines, which use the consolas font,
look just fine, but when they're copied-and-pasted into a text editor
(which is what the developers will do), the hyphens end up as some sort of
special character.

> I haven't figured out what the character is yet, but it shows up as the
usual box symbol. I've just started googling, and think this is probably
related to some unicode issue. And I found that there are several sorts of
hyphens in the unicode characters supported by the Consolas font
(http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/consolas/list.htm). But I'm
not sure yet how to fix things.

> When I copy-paste from the FrameMaker doc, things are just fine. So it's
definitely something in the PDF distillation process that's causing the
issue. And when I change just the hyphen character to the more usual
Courier font, the PDF is fine (meaning that one can copy/paste the hyphen
just fine).

http://www.doctohelp.com