RE: Essential software/programming skills for TC?

Subject: RE: Essential software/programming skills for TC?
From: "Bruce H. Johnson" <bhj -at- wrkblslns -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L list'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:15:10 -0800

Lots of good advice coming in this thread. In addition, many of the tools we
use, such as Word, have their own macro/programming language. In Word's
case, it's VBA. Learn a lot of the tool language, especially if it is fairly
wide-spread in the industry.

Over the past 20 years, my consulting company has done a lot of online
libraries in RoboHelp. Using VBA, I was able to cut the initial development
time of a manual (the reformatting and markup, not the content development)
to about 10% of doing everything by hand every time.

Right now, I'm working on extracting lots of our old archives from tape and
floppy disk. Tons of Ventura Publisher and older formats such as
WordPerfect. Using Word VBA, I'm able to update Ventura chapters to the
current directories. Using Word VBA, I've automated an open (and convert)
and Save As RTF for older word processing formats.