Need help from an Excel guru

Subject: Need help from an Excel guru
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: List, Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:00:09 -0500

Hi, guys...long time...

I find myself with a task where I have an Excel spreadsheet with about 5,000
rows. It is a database of URLs from my knowledgebase.

It looks similar to the following:

xxxxx erergkerg
juwe
ejrhghjkerg
zzzzz ueeefjvbhfb
jwerfjerjef
erfpiquer
yyyyy ehqerf
wjkf;kjqbb
kjkf;kjb

You get the idea.

I want to automate the process of copying each string in column one to each
row below it until the value changes, then copy that one until it changes,
to the end.

I would end up with:

xxxxx erergkerg
xxxxx juwe
xxxxx ejrhghjkerg
zzzzz ueeefjvbhfb
zzzzz jwerfjerjef
zzzzz erfpiquer
yyyyy ehqerf
yyyyy wjkf;kjqbb
yyyyy kjkf;kjb

I'm aware that I can highlight the string and all the empty ones below it
and press CTRL-d, but I have about 1600 sets. Is there was a way automate
it?

Thanks

--
John Posada