Re: Need help from an Excel guru

Subject: Re: Need help from an Excel guru
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 02:00:04 -0500

I'd export to a CSV file and then use my favorite powerful text editor
(emacs, of course) to solve the problem, Then I'd import the CSV back
into Excel.

In the course of the project I would worry that some of the cells in the
table might contain "other" data such as comments, or notes describing
exceptional aspects of the data in other cells. This is a very common
misuse of tabular data. Here's what I mean:

xxxxx erergkerg
juwe
(pink) ejrhghjkerg

Here's another, more elaborate:

TRUCKNUM REG STATE
35 NC
SC
GA
36 VA
NC
MD
DEL VAN AL OWNS IT, JOE HAS IT REG IN
MD
85 (FAKENUM) BUT KEPT IN DC MD REG OK
VA
37 PA
38 PA
VA
NC

That delivery van was shoehorned into a table where it simply does not
belong. Contrary to appearances, it is not registered in Alabama. Its
number, 85, is a fake, with that value having some hidden meaning.
Perhaps "regular" trucks don't have numbers beyond 60.

I would also worry that some of the cells in John's column two might
contain multiple values. For example, instead of:

xxxxx erergkerg
juwe
ejrhghjkerg

one or more sets of rows might be in this form:

xxxxx erergkerg, juwe
ejrhghjkerg

Straying further afield, into a more general view of this kind of work,
the underlying project (perhaps not what John is seeing right now) may
involve converting the table into something that matches the
requirements of a database system. The process is sometimes called
normalizing, and often requires consultation and argumentation with the
SME people to figure out what is REALLY in the table and how it REALLY
is going to be used. Actions previously applied to data (a limit to the
number of characters in a field, or the use of "hidden-meaning" codes)
may require careful unwinding that is not initially obvious. The DB
gurus will almost always find that they need to create additional tables.

Even in large companies with good DB systems, such as Oracle, Teradata,
or DB2, it is common to find business functions being handled through
misuse of MS Access and even MS Excel files. Sometimes the method for
"getting work done" involves massive daily updates of tables from one
department's PC to others', rather than making use of proper DB
resources already available.

http://www.doctohelp.com