RE: Common grammar question

Subject: RE: Common grammar question
From: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>
To: "Richard Mateosian" <xrmxrm -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:38:58 -0600

The rule doesn't apply to adverbs that end in "ly." In this example,
"deeply" is an adverb that is modifying "flawed." Yes, together they are
acting as an adjective, but the adverb is modifying the verb form.

My source, which is an admittedly ancient but still reliable book for
editors called Words Into Type, says "Hyphenate the compound adjective
of which one component is an adverb and the other an adjective or
participle if it acts as a unit modifier and the adverb could be misread
as a modifier of the noun . . . [some examples]. If the adverb ends in
-ly or could not be misread as a simple adjective modifying the noun,
the hyphen is not necessary."