Grabbing a Visio diagram from a Word document

Subject: Grabbing a Visio diagram from a Word document
From: "Spectrum Writing" <info -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:57:49 -0700

All,

I have a document that was created in MS Word 2000 or 2003, but it's
definitely not 2007. (The docs were created in 2006-200700). In this
document are workflow diagrams that were created in Visio. The diagrams were
created in Visio Professional 2000 or 2003 (they were created at the same as
the Word docs.) After all this time, I need to update these diagrams and put
them into a different Word document. I have Visio Standard 2007. When I
double-click on any of these Visio diagrams, it opens for editing in the
Word document. I have a left pane that is titled Shapes with an option to
Search for Shapes and a blank field into which search criteria can be
entered. In the right pane, is the diagram with a ruler displayed above it
and a grid is also displayed. I can click on any shape, or connector, or
text in the right panel and edit as needed, and then I can close the opened
diagram and it is displayed with the correct edits; however, I have no
option for doing a Save As to save the file with a different name and/or
location. I can seemingly only edit the diagram in the original Word
document. Do any of you Word/Visio gurus/guruesses out there have any idea
of how I might be able to pull these diagrams so that I can put them into a
new Word document?

FWIW, I can right-click and open a context menu that has a Copy option, but
if I copy the whole diagram and then try to paste into a blank Word
document, I get garbage. If I try to paste into a blank Visio grid, the
copied diagram exceeds the margins of the blank grid/stencil on all sides.

TIA,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Owner/Principal