RE: Grabbing a Visio diagram from a Word document

Subject: RE: Grabbing a Visio diagram from a Word document
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <info -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:14:21 -0500

You don't say what version of Word you are using, which matters more than what version was used to create the files. If you are using Word 2007, and the drawings were embedded in the Word file as Visio objects (and not just pasted in), you should be able to open the graphic in a real, live Visio window, which will allow you to use Save A Copy to create a non-embedded Visio file. It shouldn't matter what version of Word (or Visio) created the original.

The key thing is whether the graphics were inserted as Visio objects or as pictures. If you're using Word 2007 and you right-click on the graphic, you should see a context menu that has an item "Visio Object". If so, clicking that item will get you a deeper menu that has the options Edit (edit in place in the Word doc), Open (open the graphic in a real Visio window), or Convert. If you don't see a menu choice "Visio Object", then you're stuck, because the underlying Visio file data is not embedded in the Word file.

-FR

http://www.doctohelp.com