Re: Searching Techwr-l archives (Was: Advice on starting out)

Subject: Re: Searching Techwr-l archives (Was: Advice on starting out)
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:25:14 -0500

[Note from Al, not Connie]

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to send a quick update on our progress with the archives. Late
last week, we rolled a change to the site navigation. These changes to the
main website also dramatically affected the formatting of the archives.
Rather than reverting back to the old navigation, I just removed the
references to the archives assuming that I'd get away with it for a couple
days. :)

I'm pleased to say that 99% of the archives are back and formatted
reasonably well. There's a few older posts that still present oddly but
those are mostly summary pages so it shouldn't get in the way of any
research.

Speaking of research, I've pulled the old search capability and replaced it
with Bing's embeddable solution. It seems to be working okay but please let
me know if it gets stuck 'loading'. It did that on me a couple times, but
stopped after I ceased making changes to the pages.

Many apologies for the radio silence over the last couple weeks. I've been
heads down with learning the site and my attempts to change it without
blowing it up.

If you're interested in following the progress of the website development,
I've created a blog to track our changes and activities:
www.techwr-l.com/inside. Connie and I plan to occasionally send updates on
the website to the entire list but these will most likely only occur if a)
we've hit a milestone in design b) I've blown it up :)

take care,
al

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>wrote:

> I think 'Search this site' operates only on the pages of the Techwr-l site,
> not the archives of the mailing list. I can't even find the archive search
> any more (not that I ever had much luck with it).
>
> Try using Google Advanced Search to search the archives. Go to:
> http://www.google.com.au/advanced_search?hl=en
>
> Type your search terms in the fields at the top, then enter:
> Search within a site or domain: techwr-l.com/archives
>
> A shortcut is to enter site:techwr-l.com/archives along with your search
> terms in any Google search field. For example, this will return a couple of
> hundred hits on starting new jobs and projects:
>
> starting new site:techwr-l.com/archives
>
> Stuart
>

> Joan said:
> > I browsed through the archives, but the search doesn't seem
> > to work, because even though there must be lots of threads
> > on starting out, I've come across a couple by accident,
> > not through using the search function.
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/admin%40techwr-l.com

Empowering Technical Writers since 1993

http://www.doctohelp.com