RE: Phrasing question for software documentation

Subject: RE: Phrasing question for software documentation
From: <laura_johnson -at- agilent -dot- com>
To: <litlfrog -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:43:34 -0600

With any luck you've already solved this, but hey, it's Friday afternoon. :-)

Not surprisingly I can't quite tell what it is that you're trying to explain. As a writer of software documentation, I've had many problems of this sort myself; I usually start by giving myself permission to be as verbose, colloquial, and specific as seems to be necessary to get an accurate, comprehensible explanation down on paper. Then I try to tighten it up.

So in this case, you might start with an annoyingly long paragraph (or maybe a bullet list) of this nature:

You can now add a bill code, or recurring billing amount, to customer accounts. You can do this only for customers who have xyzzy bill code already on their account. You can also obviously remove the bill code, but only once it's been added, and only for customers who.....

(Just by doing this exercise, I've noticed that you may not want to lump "add or remove" together the way you've done it. I have a suspicion that's messing with your logic.)

Hope it helps,
-Laura