Re: Need help creating and delivering content in XML

Subject: Re: Need help creating and delivering content in XML
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "raymen97 -at- yahoo -dot- com" <raymen97 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 00:09:31 -0700 (PDT)

I see a number of ways to skin this cat.  If you made XHTML instead of HTML (you can easily convert *clean* HTML to XHTML) then you can use XSLT.  If you're on UNIX/LINUX or otherwise have access to AWK, you could probably whomp up a script that generates the XML strings for you.  Or it would be fairly straightforward to write up something in Java that reads your HTML and produces the XML you want.  I do that stuff all the time.  For example, I have a Java tool that I made to modify FrameMaker HTML so it works with DoxyGen.  I have another tool that generates RoboHelp ALI and redirect files for modular CHM help systems.

You're absolutely right when you say "There must be an easier way".  It's why people invented computers.  It all depends on how rational your initial HTML is.  Let me know if you want some clarification on possible Java tools...

cud

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as admin -at- inktopia -dot- net -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/admin%40inktopia.net