Re: Reference graphics in FrameMaker 9.0

Subject: Re: Reference graphics in FrameMaker 9.0
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Roberta Hennessey" <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>, "tech writer tech writer" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 13:15:56 -0700

Is there a way to globally change the path of all referenced graphics in a
FrameMaker 9.0 document?

There's an inexpensive plugin that can help with this: http://home.comcast.net/~bruce.foster/Archive.htm.

I haven't used it because I haven't needed its other functionality and it's never been too big a chore to take care of manually. (Typically selecting the graphic for the first book's file causes the path change to trickle down to the remaining files, and you can just save them all.)

But this *is* a ridiculously difficult topic for a seemingly simple thing, and there have been many messages (Adobe forum and otherwise) expended on this topic. Here are some relevant ones:

* http://forums.adobe.com/message/3354185

* http://objectmix.com/adobe-framemaker/219043-images-issues-controling-absolute-relative-path.html - gives a good Hint: always be sure that you break the path in FrameMaker when you copy folders from one drive to another or copy projects to a new folder on an existing set up.

This Hint has been very helpful for my workflow, where I typically keep a version's files (for example, in a folder called Version_1), and copy them to a new folder on my local drive for the next version (say, Version_2). If I temporarily rename the Version_1 folder to something else, then when I open the file in Version_2, the graphics of course cannot be found (because they're pointing to Version_1, which no longer exists) and I can point FrameMaker to the new path and save all the book's files. *Then* I can rename the original folder back to Version_1.

Sounds more complicated than it is, and it seems to have fixed this used-to-be-constant-annoyance.

* http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7960b-7eac.html - Has the invaluable info, "To ensure that FrameMaker uses relative paths, make sure it does not have to traverse the root to locate the file."

HTH,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com