RE: Saving data to hard drive vs posting it to network

Subject: RE: Saving data to hard drive vs posting it to network
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Joy Kocar <kocar -dot- joy -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:06:32 -0700

Joy Kocar wrote:

> How do you handle this when working in a team environment with multiple
> people working on the same set of files?
>
> I have insets and linked images in FrameMaker. Right now it is all on
> my local machine but I will be getting a new person to train and we
> both have to access the files.

Well, two people can probably manage with just discipline, good communication, and solid procedures. Until one of them screws up. :-}

What you really need is a source control or content management system. Presumably, your organization already has source control for its code. Keeping binary files in source control chews up a lot of disk space, but if your organization can live with that, it's a solution that's relatively cheap and easy to implement, compared to a real content management system.

You need your doc repository set up to lock files when they're checked out. I know Subversion can do this, and I suspect most other source control software can. Talk to someone in software configuration management, or whoever's responsible for source control.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom