predictive completion

Subject: predictive completion
From: RÃdacteur en chef <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com >> TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:48:29 -0400

'Scuse me... I found this can of worms and thought I'd just dump it
here... :-)

Perhaps this is a survey question?

Cognitive load was mentioned in another thread today.

Many interfaces now include predictive completion that anticipates the
word or phrase that you are trying to type. (MadCap calls it
IntelliSense).

Do you like it?

Do you use it?

Have you encountered versions of it that you prefer over others? Or
versions that you detest more... ?

My reaction is annoyance. It always seems to guess wrong, and since
I'm touch-typing and looking at the screen (not at my keyboard),
there's this annoying disturbance to the flow. It makes me stumble if
it's anything other than the exact word I'm typing. Only rarely, and
for lengthy phrases, is it quicker than just typing the complete
word/phrase. So I shut off auto-completion whenever I encounter it.
EXCEPT for browser address/search fields, and forms, where it seems
useful.

Is it age?

Perhaps I'd appreciate it if my phone had a virtual keyboard, instead
of a slide-out real one?

--
 Â__o
_`\<,_