Anyone out there working with browser-based help with Japanese text?

Subject: Anyone out there working with browser-based help with Japanese text?
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 13:45:50 -0500

We've got an Adobe AIR application, for which we have browser-based help. Help is built with Framemaker/RoboHelp and launched from the AIR application. We have created the project here in all English. We also have a documentation team in Japan that take our English source, translates, and then uses the same methods to build their browser-based help.

The problem?

A month from our GA deadlines, we've found out that in the help window for the Japanese version, you cannot manually enter/type Japanese characters into the Search field. We're trying to help the Japan group figure this out, but we don't know if it is limitation of the browser-based help (that seems to be an early indication but Adobe has been mum on the issue) or if there is some setting we are all missing. The RoboHelp project is set to Japanese and you can cut/paste text into the search field, you just cannot enter Japanese text.

Anyone else have any experiences with browser-based help in Japanese?

Thanks,

- V

Victoria J. Wroblewski
Technical Writer