Re: Anyone out there working with browser-based help with Japanese text?

Subject: Re: Anyone out there working with browser-based help with Japanese text?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- necsphere -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:34:00 -0400

I haven't run into this issue with other browser-based formats, so
this might be an issue specific to AIR. Odd that you can paste the
characters into the field but not enter them manually. Are you testing
in a 100% Japanese environment?

Also could be a windows patch is needed. See
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/840/cpsid_84012.html for a related issue on
XP.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Wroblewski, Victoria
<vwroblewski -at- necsphere -dot- com> wrote:
> We've got an Adobe AIR application, for which we have browser-based help.  Help is built with Framemaker/RoboHelp and launched from the AIR application.  We have created the project here in all English.  We also have a documentation team in Japan that take our English source, translates, and then uses the same methods to build their browser-based help.
>
> The problem?
>
> A month from our GA deadlines, we've found out that in the help window for the Japanese version, you cannot manually enter/type Japanese characters into the Search field.  We're trying to help the Japan group figure this out, but we don't know if it is limitation of the browser-based help (that seems to be an early indication but Adobe has been mum on the issue) or if there is some setting we are all missing.  The RoboHelp project is set to Japanese and you can cut/paste text into the search field, you just cannot enter Japanese text.
>
> Anyone else have any experiences with browser-based help in Japanese?
>
> Thanks,
>

> -          V
>
> Victoria J. Wroblewski
> Technical Writer
> NEC Sphere Communications, Inc.
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/techcommdood%40gmail.com

Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com