RE: Job searching in this time of attrition....

Subject: RE: Job searching in this time of attrition....
From: "Arnold, Ann" <Ann -dot- Arnold -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 10:32:40 -0700

These are all great suggestions. 3 years ago I got laid after 9 years at
company "C." It took me 17 months to get a full-time job. I'm in the
Austin area where things have been a little bit better than other parts
of the country, but not a lot. Plus I'm not exactly young, and many of
us have experienced age discrimination while searching for jobs in this
economy.

The first job I got after 5 months of looking was an hourly contract job
editing and writing healthcare related training modules, for which I had
no specific background. It was with a small company I'd worked for in
the 80s in a different type of position, so it helped that they
remembered me. Some weeks I worked 0 hours, other weeks I worked up to
20 hours. It did not pay the bills, but it looked good on my resume that
someone had hired me and it was sure better than a Big Zero. The lesson
here is to contact all former employers and see if they have any kind of
work -- even a few hours a week -- to get you back into the workforce.
As we've all been hearing, many cold-hearted employers these days are
actually refusing to interview people who've been out of work for a long
period of time.

The next job I got was full time. I had applied and interviewed for one
opening at this organization and didn't get it. Then about 6 months
later, they had another opening so I applied for it. For this position,
I was better able to prepare knowing by then what they were really
looking for and not necessarily what the job description said. Later
they told me I'd aced the interview, so I was glad to hear all that
preparation paid off. Lesson here is -- if applicable -- reapply for
positions in the same company that you've already applied
for/interviewed for and you can be even better prepared. They know you
are really interested or you wouldn't be coming back. You might think to
yourself (as I did but moved past the thought) well, if they'd wanted
me, they would have hired me the first time. But that is not necessarily
true. Maybe you'd come in 2nd or 3rd, and when you reapply they are
like, yeah, that's the person we really liked but we could only hire one
person and she had been our runner up.

I'm now at a different company by choice. After I was finally employed
it was easier to move to another position/company that was better suited
to my working style and career goals. So do take the first job you get
an offer for if you really, really need to go back to work and worry
about finding the "right" job later on. As we've all heard, it is easier
to get a job if you have a job, although that seems awfully cruel in
today's market.

Stay positive. Believe in yourself and the value you have to add to an
organization. Try to do something part-time, even if it's volunteer work
to show you are employable.

Best of luck.