RE: Job searching in this time of attrition...

Subject: RE: Job searching in this time of attrition...
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Steve Schwarzman'" <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>, "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:43:01 -0400

Throughout my association with this list serve, the subject of getting jobs
has been one of those cyclic threads. What I find interesting now is that
people/writers seem to be realizing that getting work is marketing, whether
you are going for a staff position or a freelance/contracting position.
Steve Schwarzman is absolutely right in that you have to research a company
to find a need, then market yourself as THE best person to fill that need.
The reason they should retain your services has to do with your ability as
well as cost effectiveness. Never ever promote yourself and the least
expensive, but as the most cost effective. You don't want the person who
will sign the checks think of you as cheap, because you'll be the first to
go when the company cuts staff.

I will say that sometimes it okay to say the company's manuals suck. I did
that for one of my contracts and ended up being retained to completely
revamp their entire documentation system, including new formats. What would
have been a six month job lasted over five years and helped pay off a lot of
bills. However, I also did a complete study of their documents and
documentation system and I was asked that question at a meeting with all the
company senior staff. I was retained at a senior staff level. I also had 30
years of technical writing under my belt. If I was just out of college, I
would have been escorted to the lobby and probably asked never to return.

With that said..... if you haven't a clue on how to market yourself, Google
or Barnes and Noble can be your friend.

It's Sunday, why are you people posting. You should be out enjoying the last
vestiges of fall. More importantly, why am I letting my beer get warm.....

Al Geist-Geist Associates
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
Facebook: Geist Arts

See Also:
Geist Arts - Fine Art Photography - Exceptional Note Cards
www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com