Re: Single sourcing, RoboHelp, and Frame: Newbie

Subject: Re: Single sourcing, RoboHelp, and Frame: Newbie
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:26:48 -0400

The advantage to single source documentation is you make all of your changes
in one place and then pass what is needed to each type of output. This saves
you from the issues of forgetting to make changes in all documents.

About 3 years ago, I was on a project that involved creating online help,
which the development team decided should be in HTML help. They purchased
RoboHelp 7 and had me do the work. The compiled help came out well.

About 3/4 of the way to the first deadline, they dropped the bomb - we also
need a printed document in Word. It seems they thought that was easy,
having read all of the RoboHelp single source advertising.

Well, it almost is. RoboHelp's conditional text (everywhere, print only,
and online only) is a simple tool to use. However, the Word doc formatting
leaves something to be desired. While you can generate a nice Word document
that can be easily and nicely printed, getting it to match the company's
style was much harder.

After a couple of revisions, it became less work to actually keep two
separate documents - the Help document and the Print document.

During this time, I was fortunate enough to attend a conference call with
Adobe with our company. At the time, they didn't have a means to jump back
and forth with RH7 and FrameMaker. I thought that strange that one Adobe
product wouldn't work with another Adobe product but would with Microsoft.

Hopefully, that has changed on newer versions.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Hansen" <Keith -dot- Hansen -at- opensolutions -dot- com>