Re: Document Management Systems

Subject: Re: Document Management Systems
From: Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
To: Trish Robertson <trobertson -at- casenetllc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 17:46:11 -0700

Trish,

Sounds like you're embarking on a real adventure, one which will at least give you some good war stories:-).

I presume that when you say "free or low cost," you're talking about just the software. There's no way the overall cost of a project like this will be free or low cost (unless you have a very liberal definition of low cost:-).

Even with open source software, you'll have content analysis, process definition, software evaluation and selection, software setup, hardware costs, customization, training, maintenance, and probably several other things that escape me at the moment:-). Unless you've already got the skills in-house to do that (and they're not already occupied with real work), all of those things will cost you money.

While I'm a big fan of open source software, I'm willing to bet that if you do a total cost analysis, the actual cost of the software will be swamped by other expenses. So, while I wouldn't rule out open source software, I also wouldn't eliminate commercial software.

You're probably best off working with a good independent consultant who can help you evaluate what you need and help you find something that will work for you.

In your shoes, I'd try to talk my boss into sending me to Lavacon the week after next (see my signature for details). A lot of excellent consultants will be there, and for no more than the cost of a drink (or some chocolate; seems like the tech comm world runs on chocolate:), you can learn a lot and maybe find someone who can help you out.

Best Regards,
Richard Hamilton
-----
hamilton -at- xmlpress -dot- net

Lavacon Conference on Digital Media and Content Strategies
November 13-16, Austin, TX
http://lavacon.org

http://www.doctohelp.com