Re: indexing in MS Word 2010

Subject: Re: indexing in MS Word 2010
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Becca" <becca -at- di -dot- org>, "tech2wr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:20:43 -0800

problems with indexing entries that begin with an angle bracket

No answer off-hand. But this site looks promising: http://taxonomist.tripod.com/indexing/wordproblems.html. (Even if it doesn't answer the current problem, it's sure to end up in many of our bookmark lists.)

And here's a shareware Index Assistant for Word: http://jambient.com/indexassistant/. (Looks pretty old, so no idea if it'd work in Word 2010.)

I assume that the only problems are with the entries that begin with the angle bracket? Maybe what's happening is that Word thinks it's being clever and adding a leading space there (just like it does when you do things like double-click a word at the start of a bullet list and click delete, and similar non-intuitive things) that's really hard to see unless you show the xe fields and show all non-printing chars such as spaces and zoom out big enough to actually see the space indicators. Something to check because when this sort of duplicate sub entries has happened to me it has always been because I have inadvertent extra spaces.

HTH a bit,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com