Re: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in RoboHelp 9 (HTML) -- Best practices...?

Subject: Re: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in RoboHelp 9 (HTML) -- Best practices...?
From: ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com
To: jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:38:17 -0500

I try to keep reviewers away from the content, but my issue is at the
point where I need to distribute the marked-up changes to SMEs for
signoff. Are you suggesting that I turn on track changes within RoboHelp
and do all my editing there? Then export directly from RoboHelp?

From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: 12/06/2011 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in
RoboHelp 9 (HTML) -- Best practices...?
Sent by:

As a best practice, I keep my reviewers fingers as far away as
possible from my source files. The vast majority of reviewers have no
concept of using styles, which can lead to all sorts of formatting
problems and wasted time as I fix things. If I'm the one doing the
editing, I can keep my code clean.

So if I were you, I'd keep the current workflow.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, <ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a medium sized(?) RoboHelp project (about 200 pages). The source
> content is contained within RoboHelp (i.e., typed directly into the
> RoboHelp HTML authoring tool). I'm finding that this makes drafting and
> reviewing updates to the content extremely inefficient. I think that I
> might be doing something wrong here, but this is the process that I've
> been following when I update this content:
>
> 1. Export the project to printed documentation (MS Word).
> 2. Turn on track changes in MS Word and update the document.
> 3. Have the SME review and provide comments etc.
> 4. Copy and paste the updated content into RoboHelp (HTML)...
>
> Any time copy and paste is part of a process, there is definitely a
> problem... but I can't see any way around this. In the past, I
maintained
> content in FrameMaker or (worst case) Word and then I would run in
through
> RoboHelp or Webworks etc to generate the HTML help...
>
> Is there a better way? I really need to remove these two extra steps
from
> this process (1 and 4). Ideally, I'm open to anything, including XML or
> using a different authoring tool etc..
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ryan

> This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed (the
"addressee") and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use that a person other
than the addressee makes of this communication is prohibited and any
reliance or decisions made based on it, are the responsibility of such
person. We accept no responsibility for any loss or damages suffered by
any person other than the addressee as a result of decisions made or
actions taken based on this communication or otherwise. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this
e-mail.

> Ce courriel est strictement réservé à l'usage de la personne à qui il
est adressé (le destinataire). Il peut contenir de l'information
privilégiée et confidentielle. L'examen, la réexpédition et la diffusion
de ce message par une personne autre que son destinataire est interdite.
Nous déclinons toute responsabilité à l'égard des pertes ou des dommages
subis par une personne autre que le destinataire par suite de décisions ou
de mesures fondées sur le contenu de cette communication ou autrement. Si
vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez communiquer avec son
expéditeur et en détruire toutes les copies.

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jstickler%40gmail.com

online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

--
Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/ryan.minaker%40ca.pwc.com

http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and