RE: need suggestions on handling a boss

Subject: RE: need suggestions on handling a boss
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>, "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 20:09:59 +0000

One thing I find odd is that your manager is telling you how to do your job. Good managers provide goals and assign tasks and leave the "how to" to the employee. Unless SMEs have explicitly told your manager that they don't have the bandwidth to deal with writers, it is their place, not your manager's, to draw boundaries. But who am I to psychoanalyze your boss without hearing her side of the story?

Having said that, one thing really stood out for me in your email:

"I wasn't given the material to prep for the meeting, so a lot of what they talked about in the meeting went over my head."

I would assume that the information missing from the processes you wrote would be the stuff that went over your head. Granted that, I can see at least three things that you could do in the future. First, when you get an invitation to a meeting, be proactive and ask for any information that you may need to help you understand what will be discussed. Second, ask questions when you don't understand things; or, at the least, write down as much as you can so that you have information for later reference. If there was pre-meeting material that would have been necessary for understanding the discussion, if you have a list of things that you didn't understand, you can always do research after the meeting. Third, tell your manager that you are not like Mozart (but maybe use different words). If you were like Mozart, you could write concise, complete, and beautiful technical documents in one draft (in ink). For the rest of us, writing is a process, and even when we've been proactive and asked many questions during the preparation phase, we often discover gaps in our understanding only while writing.