What doc formats do readers actualy use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"

Subject: What doc formats do readers actualy use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: 'Gene Kim-Eng' <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:06:29 +0000

I generally agree with Gene, and would add that the question does not have a single, simple answer. Several factors need to be considered:
-Will the company provide printed manuals, or will the user print his own PDFs? If the company is paying for printing, ROI changes dramatically.
-Does a training department rely on printed docs for training (and is the tech writing department given a budget to provide manuals that support training efforts)?
-How old is the target market? My dad (who is 80) would definitely need something that looks like a book. My son (who is 17) would definitely prefer easily searchable online help.
-Is the help primarily referential or procedural? If the user needs to work through complex procedures, online help might be a pain as the user would have to toggle between it and the application for every step (unless you can safely assume that he is running dual monitors). On the other hand, if the help is primarily referential, then toggling wouldn't be a problem and providing the superior search functionality of online help is a no brainer. For procedural help, another thing to keep in mind is that a decent online help system will enable you to print any given procedure (which eliminates the toggling problem).
-Will the tool or application be used in a cleanroom?

For software, I would argue that there is a good reason to include a PDF only if not including a one is a deal breaker.

Has anyone on the list felt the need to download a PDF for, say, Word, InDesign, or DreamWeaver? If you are using an older version of Frame, how often did/do you use the bundled, printed user guide?