RE: What doc formats do readers actually use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"

Subject: RE: What doc formats do readers actually use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:07:58 -0500

Tony Chung claimed:

> On 2011-12-16, at 12:04 PM, "McLauchlan, Kevin"
> <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
>

> > There's probably an app for encrypting/decrypting files
> > on iPads, Samsung tablets, and other general purpose
> > tablet and slate computers, as well as (shudder!) on
> > Smartphones. But since dedicated eReaders are pointedly
> > NOT that general-purpose, they don't have the capability
> > and don't have a way to bring it onboard after purchase.
> >

> So does that mean you can't read password protected PDFs on an
> eReader? I can open my secure pay stub PDF on my iPhone.
>
> One more reason for me to get an iPad!

Your iPhone (and that iPad you are getting yourself for
Christmas/Hanukkah) can probably encrypt objects (like
documents) if one of the million available Jobs-approved
apps was created for the purpose. And likely the Android
phones and pads can say the same thing. Or soon will, if
there's a demand.

If you actually need that feature for security, in
case your pad (or phone) gets borrowed or stolen
by black-hats, then are you sure it doesn't leave
an unencrypted version of each file that you encrypt
lying around somewhere in its file system?

For my part, I don't have a use for passworded PDFs,
and nobody I know - including at work - uses the
feature. All our corporate laptops are protected
by whole-drive encryption. If you stole one, you'd
basically have a useless box that you'd need to
format and install an operating system. The device
is a commodity. The data is the potentially valuable
stuff.

I really didn't see why my wife wanted the color Kobo
on which she insisted, since she does all her work on
her laptop and her Crackberry, and the color Kobo (being
a backlit device like pads and phones) has a useful battery
life of less than a day, while the monochrome eInk model
that I'm getting lacks some of the other Kobo's bells
and whistles, but gets days and days and days of battery
life WITH USE (not just on standby), and is easier to
read outdoors.
But hey, it's her present, so it's her choice.
I did offer to get her an iPad2 or a Samsung tablet,
but she refused, citing the expense and the start-up
status of her business.

-k

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com