RE: Disagreeing with house styles

Subject: RE: Disagreeing with house styles
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 11:11:55 -0500

HOWEVER... maybe you could put something into the metadata of your
documents, to the effect that "Certain choices of terminology, spelling
and usage in this document are the result of adherence to a mandated
style guide, and do not necessarily reflect the sensibilities
or competence of the writer(s)." For customers or others, it's just
another of many, many disclaimer-things they'll ignore - probably
won't even see, especially if you don't let it transfer from the
source to the PDF format.

But at future employment interviews, when you hand over your samples
for examination by a potential employer, you can point out that
hidden disclaimer to indicate that you did indeed already know that
certain aspects of your docs are... er... quaint, but were beyond
your control. It beats back-pedalling and making excuses after
somebody calls you on the peculiarities. And it beats being
silently discarded as a contender, never knowing that that's
what lost you your shot and never having a chance to reply.

As for an editor to hand down a style guide, where do I
get me one of those? I haven't had a real editor this century.
Not in the budget.

- k

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com