let's see the patient's chart...

Subject: let's see the patient's chart...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:27:01 -0500

My customer docs are mostly WebHelp.

I have used the occasional flow-chart as part of explanations, and as the overview before/beside a set of steps to perform a task.

What I would LIKE to do is to make the flow diagram BE the instructions, with each box and bump in the diagram containing one or multiple links to help pages that explain the choices, the implications, the reasons that this-or-that decision might be better(best?) for this-or-that customer niche, etc. But, the customer would just follow the decision paths of the diagram as her/his "instructions" to get where s/he was going.

Is it possible to accomplish that with html? More specifically with MadCap Flare?
Can basic diamonds and circles and rectangles and joining arrows be generated and placed, using fairly straightforward code?

The other option is to just draw the charts in Visio or some-such, make them into .png or .jpg pictures, import them into Flare, and make regions of the picture clickable links.

Is anyone doing this? What are you using? Why?

I'd thought of doing this before, but seeing Maneesh's cartoons resurrected the notion. I especially liked the codability of his 'toons. I guess there's no reason why "standard" action boxes and decision boxes couldn't be substituted for the personal, moody cartoon devices. Hmmmm. Javascript. Hmmm.

The grinding noise is me thinking.
Yes, those are flakes of rust.

- k

or disclosing it.