OneNote, EverNote -- Used to organize entire manuals or help systems?

Subject: OneNote, EverNote -- Used to organize entire manuals or help systems?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:55:55 -0600 (CST)

Do you go so far as to organize manuals using OneNote?

I've got a project that will combine content from two different documents, and there is no clean way to integrate them. It will be a real cut-and-paste job, with lots of additional new writing. I can see how great it could be to have each snippet on a separate OneNote page and move them easily within OneNote, but if I do it for the entire project, I'll have dozens of pages. I don't see a way to autonumber them, so I'll go a bit cross-eyed trying to remember where in the long list of pages a particular page resides . . .

Is it usable in this way, with the equivalent of, say, 150 typical 8.5 x 11 pages of technical text needing to be moved hither and yon until the book takes shape?

Or, do you use it to accumulate notes, but then integrate them into your usual tool (Word, FM, whatever) as you go along?

Or, do you do something else?

I can see how the pages could also be used to organize help topics. Is it worth doing as a preliminary to using the actual HAT, which of course offers a lot more functions?

http://www.doctohelp.com