Re: Need opinions: Camtasia versus Captivate

Subject: Re: Need opinions: Camtasia versus Captivate
From: Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:11:28 -0600

Hi Craig

Personally, I use both and I've trained others on both.

Captivate rocks for its ability to capture sequences on a slide by slide basis. Essentially, it screen captures each step and stitches it together with mouse movement. Then net result is what appears to be a video, but in fact is a series of static captures combined with mouse movement.

Camtasia works as if you are holding a video camera aimed at the screen. Everything is full motion. Presently, Captivate doesn't do well with full motion capture. Lots of room for improvement. Captivate does offer a panning and zooming, but it's horribly wimpy as compared to Camtasia's panning and zooming.

With both products you will be concerned about playback size. With Captivate, you need some serious thought about that size before you even begin recording. With Camtasia, the approach is vastly more forgiving. You generally are able to record at full screen, then produce at a smaller size and have good results. Largely, I believe, because of the special and proprietary TechSmith CODEC that is used.

The environment for editing Captivate is similar to PowerPoint. The environment for Camtasia is like a Non-Linear Editor such as Sony Vegas, Windows Moviemaker or Premiere. Complete timeline is at the bottom. Captivate has a timeline but what you see is on a "per slide" basis.

My general criteria is this. Want full motion with lots of panning and zooming? Camtasia is your tool. Want ability to capture and have annotations added for you and be able to easily create simulations? Captivate is your tool.

I'm sure others will offer advice. But that's what I have for now. Hope it helps!

Cheers... Rick :)

On 1/31/2012 8:03 AM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:

Good Morning,

If anyone uses Camtasia or Captivate, can you tell me why you use it and not the other?

We are circling closer to making narrated video tutorials for our software.

I want good reasons for choosing Camtasia or Captivate.

I also *need* truly excellent reasons for asking management to spend the money.

Cordially,
Craig Cardimon

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or email reply.

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/rstone75%40kc.rr.com

http://www.doctohelp.com