Re: Yay or Nay

Subject: Re: Yay or Nay
From: "B.J. Smith" <bjsmith -at- ucar -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 08:27:32 -0700

While my initial reaction was that this is a bad idea, I don't see much difference between this and a student spell-checking any other paper or written assignment. More people would do well to know how to use this technology to improve their communications.

When you want to know if someone can spell, you can administer a spelling test.

On 1/31/2012 7:53 PM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Interesting question. If I don't object to a tech writer using spell check while on the job and the company's time, is it a problem if a student does it? Is spell check cheating, or in the modern world is it just a faster version of opening a dictionary? Have to think about that one.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "DaLy" <swiggles247 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Do you have to be good at spelling to be a good writer? Not necessarily, at least not in Oregon public schools?

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2010/12/oregon_will_allow_students_to.html

I think spelling, grammar ,and structure are as important as content. IMHO, this is just another way to push kids through the public school system.

Your thoughts?

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as bjsmith -at- ucar -dot- edu -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/bjsmith%40ucar.edu

http://www.doctohelp.com