Re: Trends in Tech Comm

Subject: Re: Trends in Tech Comm
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 21:12:13 -0800

I think the core skill of researching products to discuss at a higher
level than the individual developer will still prevai. The only
difference is the number of ways we write the sentence.

Technical Writing has less to do with eloquence and everything to do
with relevance. We need to provide information of value to the end
user for the task at hand. If I, as a tech writer, cannot envision (or
be convinced of) how a potential end user will use our product, then I
won't be able to do a good job of placing the reader into the product.

While we spend some time writing definitions, the end goal is to be
sure someone knows how to put those definitions to use.

So, while the technical skill will be needed (which is where I spend
the bulk of my time), there also needs to be that raw journalistic
instinct of getting to the bottom of he story.

The DITA Open Tool Kit never supposes to do that.

-Tony

http://www.doctohelp.com