Re: Trends in Tech Comm

Subject: Re: Trends in Tech Comm
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 23:41:39 -0800

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I agree that occasionally you catch something
that just draws you in. Most tech writing ventures on the dry, lest it
be mistaken for that "other" type of writing, (marketing).

Although, some of the more avant garde companies could develop a house
style that is evocative, sense-based, casual, and yet still technical.
All the writers would have to agree on that standard, and it would
need meticulous editing.

When working with other writers, I had a hard time being technical and
minimalist when my coworker runneth offeth at the mouth. He used
multiple words to say the same thing, and hardly ever reused
structures. That was just laziness that had nothing to do with trying
to create great writing.

On the other hand, I had trouble reading through one of the
recommended books on single sourcing. The text lacked any meat from
the start, and I don't know if it ever improved; I lost interest mid
chapter.

So I still think there is an art to what we do, to plan around the automation.

Great discussion.

-Tony

On 2012-02-01, at 11:13 PM, "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)"

http://www.doctohelp.com