Visio (2007) shapes & layer membership - need VBA ?

Subject: Visio (2007) shapes & layer membership - need VBA ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:20:22 -0800

Hello, TechWR-L-ers,

So I inherited a Visio (2007) diagram with 50+ shapes that appear in various combos on more than a dozen layers. Iâd like to (easily and quickly) determine which layers each shape is a part of.

I can (slowly, manually, and methodically) find this info by looking at every shapeâs Shape Sheet or select the shape and then choose Format > Layer, but Iâm looking for a more automated way to do this.

The nifty utility I wrote about this morning (Super Utilities and Tools, http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-utilities/) has lots of great reports, but doesnât seem to provide what Iâm wishing for.

I think the likely answer is to do a quick VBA script to iterate through all the shapes and then output a line of text listing the layers in which the shape appears.

But before I invest time in this, I thought Iâd ask to see if anyone has other suggestions or any scripts that might speed me on my way?

(I found lots of starting point scripts here: http://visio.mvps.org/VBA/default.html, but havenât looked closely yet.)

Thanks much!
-Monique