Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)

Subject: Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)
From: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>, "techwrl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:57:20 +0700

Apple's direction with Autosave, Versions, Resume and even the forerunner of all this, Time Machine, is all about protecting the incompetent user from their own mistakes. The story for this among the Apple faithful is that the most common tech support question is "how do I get back my lost work?". I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if so I find it incredible that anyone has been brought up using a computer and not habitually and instinctively hitting 'command-s' (that's control-s to you windows folk... ).

Nonetheless, Apple has certainly decided to pursue this market at the expense of their former customer base (largely creative professionals). The new OS is all about leveraging iOS sales into Mac computer sales by making the computer responsible for almost everything. You'll certainly never lose a typed word again on any Apple device you own (iPhone, iPad, Lion OS computer) with Autosave, Versions, Resume, Time Machine and iCloud at your service. Stupid users is where the money is.

>From the point of view of someone who wants to control their OS rather than have the OS dictate to them what they can and can't do, this "iOSification of Mac OS is nothing less than heartbreaking. Snow Leopard is an almost perfect OS that will let you do anything; Lion is an Orwellian control freak that is not much use for anything except basic browsing, simple office work and storing more photos and songs than you can on your iOS device.

For this reason, I'll be looking at some flavour of Linux for my next OS, as I don't see Apple backtracking here.

Phil

On 8 Feb 2012, at 01:41, Tony Chung wrote:

> For years I laughed at Mac users because their computer didn't let
> them do all the fun stuff I did on my PC. You know, pull a disc from
> the drive while it was still formatting, stuff like that.
>
> I thought: Apple users must be stupid that their machine needs to stop
> them from destroying their data storage media.
>
> NOW it's even worse: Apple software (and Google docs, along with most
> database systems) now saves your work as you go. Users must now be
> really stupid if they get so wrapped up in their work they forget to
> sa-- *click*
>
> -Tony
>

> On 2012-02-07, at 9:37 AM, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
>
>> A good app uses the computer to solve problems in the chair.
>>
>> Gene Kim-Eng

Phil Stokes
Tech Writer:
http://applehelpwriter.com