Carbonite backup and file exclusions...

Subject: Carbonite backup and file exclusions...
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Mark Giffin" <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:40:25 -0800

Note: this will only be of interest to you if you really want the details of Carbonite, or to read them so that you know what to look out for when researching other backup solutions.

when I talked (well, did online chat) with them this morning, the guy said that even if I manually added it, Carbonite would not back up an EXE....Have you confirmed that the EXE files actually are truly getting backed up by looking at the backup files?

It definitely works. If it didn't I would squawk
and get something else.

I agree; it does work -- I can now see that my EXE files are showing as Pending in my current initial backup.

I did a bit more surfing, and found someone who talked about Carbonite's exclusions. It's been a few years, but it still seems applicable: http://www.tomkirkham.com/node/109.

If you scroll down to to the "How to Easy Fix Carbonite exclusions, Part II" posting, someone's created a nifty script to deal with this. I'm using it, and now the only time-consuming part is right-clicking every file individually, selecting Properties, going to the Carbonite tab, and telling it to "Back up files of this type (within folders selected for backup)".

I may still research other solutions, but Carbonite's unlimited data storage is pretty hard to beat.

I also like that you can (for extra $$ of course) get a courier recovery service to have the backup shipped to you (if you're in the US). I'm realizing that however long this initial backup takes (and in my case it's going to be about 10 days because I've got >30G of files -- yes, I'm sure I could delete things and I know I have multiple copies of files as I've moved through review cycles and versions, but hey -- disk space is cheap now and I like having it all), it would take that long to get all my recovery files downloaded to a new PC. And so the extra ~100/year (USD) is nothing compared to the cost of me losing two weeks of billable time!

-Monique