Re: Question for writers in New Zealand and Australia

Subject: Re: Question for writers in New Zealand and Australia
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:52:05 -0800

All of the responses you got were "cultural."

Most people, regardless of where they are ,would be put off to some extent to find their country grouped with another country unless they already knew there was a reason it was being done. That's cultural.

In the absence of context, people started speculating on the reason for the combination, with ideas ranging from inadequate equipment that couldn't handle all the countries individually to programmers who are illiterate baboons who can't look up standard international country codes. Also cultural.

So by the time someone from the region got up, read your question and provided local perspective, you'd gotten "cultural" responses from every time zone in between.

Now that we know that it's based on RFs and that AUS and NZL share a common RF, we can surmise that NZL users probably will be put off, but they probably won't blame you because everyone else doing the same work is probably already doing it.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>

Brian, my question was specific and *cultural* in its nature, and directed at a geographical group of writers. The first wave of answers I received focused on technical solutions, not cultural.