Re: Training and documentation teams play well together?

Subject: Re: Training and documentation teams play well together?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:51:08 -0400

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:33:24 -0400, Rebecca Hopkins <rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

reducing duplication of work,

Effort on reducing duplication involves careful tracking and filtering. In my experience it's more efficient to allow doc and training teams to use each others' materials but not with any system of control or expectations other than standard business common sense. (For example, training can talk about expected futures--but never write them down--while doc really should never write up future deliverables in current manuals.

presenting a consistent message, etc. - especially across business units.

Consistency requires action at a higher level of management. It's especially hard to avoid surprises if two teams are working separately on related but secret projects. Once, while documenting a plan for new software, I called headquarters to talk to the SME responsible for part of the existing structure that would be impacted by the new stuff. He referred me to another higher-level SME, and I explained my problem. He'd never heard of the planned multi-million dollar project that I was documenting. "That'll never happen," he said. Sure enough, it didn't.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help