OFF TOPIC - RE: "Allow" vs. "Require"

Subject: OFF TOPIC - RE: "Allow" vs. "Require"
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:46:39 +0000

Dan and I have been exchanging barbs and banter for several years, and I think I usually understand what he is saying. I like cyberDan (I've never actually met him). One thing I admire about Dan is that his posts are usually clever and terse. He relies tremendously on context. Unless he is slipping, he wouldn't say "real world" unless he intended to imply that I am living in a world of fantasy. Another thing I know about Dan is that he can defend himself (if he needs to). He is no wallflower.

Having said that, Lauren, I have to add that I am surprised at your comments. "Lobbying insults"? Really? What does that even mean? Blatantly defending someone who is very well able to defend himself? Blatantly and publicly upbraiding me for a comment that wasn't directed at you and then suggesting that _I_ am being indecorous? All that I have to say is that I sincerely admire what you are planning to do with your law degree. You will be an excellent advocate for the animals.

Finally, you said, "Leonard, I think you read something offensive into the discussion that simply was not there. Sometimes, a discussion is just a discussion." This, I admit, is entirely possible, but "Sometimes a banana is[n't] just a banana."