Re: tech writing recruiters

Subject: Re: tech writing recruiters
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:44:08 -0700

Kari, it might help us if we knew your market, as there are differences.

For my first contract gig, I was already assured a slot at HP through an
acquaintance. She had three agencies working the position, so I interviewed
all three and chose to go with the one who sounded most professional on the
phone (as well as providing terrific terms).

Ten years later, getting the oddball "too good to be true" call is most
often just that. I'll entertain these, but do not expect anything to ever
come of them.

If I had to start from scratch, I'd get a list of recruiting agencies
working the tech sector in my region, quite possibly by way of *<your
city/region> Business Journal <http://businessdirectory.bizjournals.com/>. *I'd
then start working LinkedIn to determine who's who, attempting to ID
recruiters who've stayed with the same agency for at least two years.
Referrals from other TWers, STC folks and people you trust would also help.
After selecting three (and no more than five) you might then individually
ask them to coffee, where they can get an opportunity to learn more about
you, review your portfolio, and so forth. Then periodically stay in touch
with them. (If they're periodically calling you, drop them from your list
and find someone to replace them.)

Here in the greater Sacramento region there are many agencies tripping all
over themselves to fill the paucity of openings. My last contract gig was
through AgreeYa in Folsom, with whom I was very happy. I stay in touch with
my recruiter there as you never know what may turn up. There are many
openings in the Bay Area, but I've been on one contract assignment there
and am in no hurry to put myself—nor my wife—through that trial again.
(Great opportunities but too much wear and tear.)

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help