Re: tech writing recruiters

Subject: Re: tech writing recruiters
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:06:25 -0400

Possibly one misunderstanding here is the type of job itself. If you are looking for direct employment (actual employee of the company with all employee benefits), you will find few recruiters. If you are looking for contract work, then you find lots of recruiters. Companies frequently get hundreds of resumes for any single job, so they don't need to recruit except for fresh outs at the college job fair.

If you are seeking contract work, unless you have established your own company, you almost always have to go through a recruiter and a job shop since laws, policies, and law suits have made it so that companies rarely will contract directly with an individual. Contracts often are offered as 3 months or 6 months but can extend out to a few years. Rarely do they go more than a few years.

Recruiters who call with temp to hire jobs are using a carrot. It entices you to take a job at a lower rate with the hope of direct employment. Usually, the direct employment never occurs.

If you are seeking direct employment, it is best to do your own hunting and make your own applications. But if you are not in your 20s recently out of school, or some fast rising star in your field, you may find getting direct employment a difficult task. If you are in your late 40s or 50s, you had better have a couple of patents, a bunch of trade fame, or something that someone wants badly. If you are just a regular sort of employee, odds are greatly against you getting a direct job at that age.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Caroline Leopold" <caroline -dot- leopold -at- gmail -dot- com>