Bullet Styles

Subject: Bullet Styles
From: Pam Harper <pharper -at- bailiwick -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 17:43:11 +0000

I'm having a discussion with my manager (I report into the Engineering dept as the only writer) about bullet styles. I use a square bullet for the main bullet and another bullet style for a sub bullet. I use the main bullet style regardless if the list is in the main body or a step. My manager thinks because the bullet list is in a step, that the bullet should not look the same as if it's in the body. He uses Word as his guide-that when you press the indent arrow that the bullet style changes. I develop templates in Word and Framemaker and want the Word templates to match with what I have for Frame, which is my main tool.

He also said that field technicians may be scanning down for say square bullets and get confused if they see a square bullet in a step list. I've never heard this complaint, but that doesn't mean it's not relevant-just seems odd.

I found several examples on Microsoft.com for Word styles as well as the Microsoft Manual of style, where the same bullet icon is used for a list in the body or in a step. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Pam Harper

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help