Re: OT: LinkedIn Hacked

Subject: Re: OT: LinkedIn Hacked
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:18:06 -0400

I use the "incredibly long multiple words" format that was suggested in the cartoon, and I store them all in an ordinary text file, but abbreviated in a way that makes sense only to me, and some of the words or numbers may be remembered rather than written down. For example if the password is actually:

trenton is the 37th lemonade capital of new york

I might store "trenton new york" and leave the rest as a pattern to be filled in from memory. Indeed, I might write new hampshire instead of new york.

The major problems I have encountered with this scheme are (1) that it takes a while to enter each password and (2) the new password is often rejected right at the outset with the message "Password too long" or "Password contains unacceptable characters."

Even if someone were aware that I use the states and their capitals as passwords (and I don't), they would likely get caught up in the side issue of whether Manchester, Concord, NYC or Albany was the word I had intended.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help